Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Can I Let Go of the Heat?

       As I continue my exercise of avoiding TV for six months, I'm confronted with a dilemma: the Miami Heat are playing in the NBA finals.
       I began my six-month TV-weaning exercise on June 1. Full disclosure: On Monday (June 3) I just had to watch. It was a decisive game. So I watched the game and nothing else. Nothing before. Nothing after. Just the game. The game that would decide whether the Heat moved on to the finals.
       The stuff on the screen was gripping, inspiring. There was LeBron James strategizing cryptically with his teammates, orchestrating plays that turn a sport into art. There was Dwayne Wade executing his unique style of court acrobatics, snaking through places only he can see. There was the towering Chris Bosh shooting three-point baskets, the universe suspended for an instant. The Miami Heat did amazing stuff, and I sat on the couch and watched it on the screen for three hours.
         Okay, I can sort of let that one go by and still consider myself good for the exercise. But now come the finals.
         Some things are worth watching. Some things are worth sitting three hours for. Men able to suspend themselves in mid-air after running through multiple giant human bricks time and again might well be one of them. Further, by watching it  Monday, I got to participate in the collective glee they brought to my town. Sweet, really sweet.
         But, if the finals that begin tomorrow stretch out for all seven games, watching the worthwhile could amount to 21 hours, or almost an entire day sitting in front of the TV. Even if I just watch decisive games, am I sticking to the exercise?
          On the other hand, if what is being shown on the screen isn't a scripted show and could be experienced live if one were to have tickets, does it count as TV? What counts as "TV"? Is it simply anything and everything that comes through the apparatus, or only that which is scripted? Is there a difference between those two in terms of how one experiences them? What if I went to a sports bar and watched the game there with a group of friends -- would that count as sitting down and watching TV?
          I guess I'll wrestle with this at 8 p.m. tomorrow.
          
       
        
        
        
         
   

       

No comments:

Post a Comment