Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I Never Met Their Mother, Yet I Care

        I just read how the sitcom How I Met Your Mother ends. It was one of my favorites before I went on TV hiatus. Perusing online, I ran into a story about the sitcom's final episode, and couldn't resist.  Is this cheating?          
       Here's what happened: After not watching any episode for weeks, a picture of the characters on the Internet and a headline about the ending stirred my curiosity. I clicked, and there it was, a whole recounting of the final episode.
        Keep in mind, the story is told in retrospect, by one of the characters, who in relaying to his kids how he met their mother years before, also relays the situations and interactions between him and his New York buddies. Episode after episode, season after season, we get to know him and his friends, but not the mysterious mother. That is until the last season, when she becomes one of the characters. And then, according to the article, a twis in the final episode. Also according to the article, Twitter reaction to the last episode's twist leaned negative.
        I never met their mother, but from the characters I did meet, I like the ending, which I didn't watch.
        So here's something: Even after months of not watching TV, I find myself somewhat invested in the final episode of a sitcom. TV is powerful. But maybe the real power is storytelling, linking events and situations in ways that engage you, even when you're not watching anymore.
       Cheating or not, now I know. Just like Cinderella got her slipper and her prince, Ted finally found the love he always wanted. Good for him! I can move on.
       
      
       
      

No comments:

Post a Comment